How to Help the World on Earth Day
How many times do we have to hear Reduce, Reuse and Recycle before we take it to heart and follow this mantra?! Visiting a local garbage dump may do it for you. After seeing the gigantic moving machines with plows and steel spiked wheels for tires as they go crunching over piles of human waste, you may give a second thought as to how you use and discard everyday products.
What are you doing with that old couch, appliance or clothes? Did you know that metal is almost always totally recyclable and not only that, but you can be paid to turn it in? There are people out there who would love to have your old recliner, bed or couch. You may be done with it but too many people are living in poverty and a free piece of furniture is better than nothing to them. Another good reason to give it away is it is one less bulky item for the community landfill. Do be mindful of bugs and mold though. Although you may want to keep these items out of the dumps, sometimes it is inevitable; we do want to help save the planet but don’t want to spread disease in the process.
Just to make a small difference this week (and hopefully keep it going) consider practicing one or more of the following Earth saving tips:
- Run your laundry on warm or cold instead of hot.
- Hang your laundry on a clothesline to dry.
- If you have toddlers, let them share a bath.
- Carpool, walk or ride a bike.
- Drink filtered water in a reusable container versus packaged bottles of water or soda/juice. (*This is a BIGGIE!!!)
- Read a book or be outside instead of running the television or electronics.
- Sell or donate outgrown clothes, toys and household items.
- Buy and install a solar panel; start with one a year.
- Use a recycled grocery bag instead of plastic or paper. If you have no bag, go for paper over plastic.
All of these will help the environment and put some money back into your pocket:
Let’s do our part as responsible citizens as though we actually care about improving our existence as a race both now and after we are gone.